What Is Hand sanitizer?
As we all can see how terrible the situation is going around throughout the world. Every one of you knows how this virus is destroying and creating a financial and population loss in the entire world. This virus is also known as Coronavirus (Covid-19).
Although medical experts (pharmacists) are trying their best day and night to develop a vaccination, capsule, or any other treatment that can help the whole world in fighting against this infectious disease, there are still some issues.
However, somehow they are still not able to discover the exact vaccination. But yes, there are some easy and common instructions that everyone needs to follow to prevent themselves from this pandemic disease. We will highlight in detail a method that can help you fight against this tough situation.
Coronavirus and hand sanitizer
While discussing the best possible way to prevent the spread of this pandemic (infectious) disease such as Covid-19, the method that comes to mind to beat this disease is the old-fashioned and traditional hand washing technique. But have you ever thought that what if you come across a place that does not have soap and water currently?
What will you do now? For helping you in these situations, the CDC (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention) is recommending the public with another best option to deal with this problem.
They should carry a hand sanitizer that contains a higher percentage of alcohol in it. Use this sanitizer that includes at least a ratio of 60 percent alcohol in it.
Until and unless you don’t have a stock of hand sanitizer from the stores, you won’t be able to find these sanitizers anywhere. You are likely to face a hard time in searching for hand sanitizer at an e-store or local store these days.
This Covid-19 virus is widely spreading these days in almost every country. Therefore, most of the retailers or sellers are unable to match and fulfill the demand of the public for hand sanitizers.
But we have a piece of good news for all of you. All you need is three ingredients to make your personal hand sanitizers. You can make these sanitizers at your homes.
A piece of warning and advice
The recipe of hand sanitizers consists of the below ingredients that are intentionally present in the composition. However, professionals can only use them along with the help of necessary resources and expertise. This resource helps ensure that the expertise and professionals are creating this sanitizer safely and properly utilizing the ingredients.
You should use and utilize hand sanitizers that are homemade in extremely difficult situations. The only term and condition for using these sanitizers are when you are present at a place that does not contain the mechanism of hand washing.
Moreover, do not use these hand sanitizers that you are making at home on your child’s skin. The reason behind stopping you from using them on a kid’s skin is because your child might use it improperly. This misuse of hand sanitizers can lead the child to a greater probability of injury or risk.
What ingredients will you need to make a homemade hand sanitizer?
We have already told all of you that this article will cover everything that can help you in making a hand sanitizer at home. Therefore, this section will tell you the easiest method to make a hand sanitizer. You will only need a few ingredients, a simple recipe, and some of your time to produce this sanitizer.
The only three ingredients you will require for this recipe are as follows:
- The gel from aloe vera
- Rubbing alcohol or isopropyl – 99 percent of the volume is alcohol.
- Any essential and vital alcohol is good to use that includes tea tree oil, lavender oil, or any other. You can even use the juice from the lemon as well.
If you want to have a key point to make effective, germ-busting, and active hand sanitizer, you have to stick and follow the proportion of 2:1. This proportion of alcohol is to aloe vera. This ratio will help in keeping the content of alcohol almost 60 percent.
According to a trusted source at the CDC, this particular amount or percentage is the lowest amount that a hand sanitizer would require to kill maximum germs.
How can you make your personal hand sanitizer?
Have you heard of Jagdish Khubchandani? If not, let us inform you that he is an associate professor, Ph.D. of health science. He is a Ph.D. from Ball State University. He shares this famous formula for making a hand sanitizer.
His useful and amazing formula of hand sanitizer includes a combination of:
- Use two parts of ethanol or isopropyl alcohol that is present in a 91 percent to 92 percent ratio.
- One part consists of the gel from Aloe vera.
- You have to add a few small drops of peppermint, clove, eucalyptus, or any other necessary essential oil.
If you are ready to make this hand sanitizer at your residence, Jagdish Khubchandani is recommending everyone to adhere and follow these tips thoroughly.
Tips to help make the process include:
- Select a clean and neat space to make your own hand sanitizer. Wipe down and clean the countertops with the help of a diluted solution of bleach before using that counter.
- Wash your hands with clean water carefully before starting the procedure of creating the hand sanitizer.
- To mix the ingredients perfectly, use a hygienic and clean whisk and spoon. Wash the items (whisk and spoon) properly before you use them.
- Make sure that whatever alcohol you are using in your own hand sanitizer is not at all a diluted alcohol.
- Mix each and every ingredient thoroughly and carefully until and unless you blend them flawlessly.
- Do not use or touch the sanitizer’s mixture with your or anyone’s hand until the sanitizer is completely ready for application.
- If you want to create a larger group or number of hand sanitizers, the trusted source of the World Health Organization will help you. In simple words, the WHO (world health organization) is suggesting a formula to make a larger bunch of hand sanitizers.
This formula includes:
- Boiled cold water or sterile distilled
- Ethanol or isopropyl
- Hydrogen peroxide
Is it safe for you to make a hand sanitizer at home?
You can easily surf the internet and find loads of recipes for making a hand sanitizer. In other words, the internet is full these days with a number of recipes for hand sanitizer. But the question we want to ask you is, are these recipes completely safe?
Start with the ingredients first that are present in any of the hand sanitizers. After going through several recipes, you must be clear with the fact that, whether you follow any recipe, it must have the ingredients that we have already told and discussed with you people.
However, some ingredients do require help from professionals, along with a piece of advice from any source or expert. They will support you in making the hand sanitizer at your home place safely.
But yes, we will once again recommend you to use these hand sanitizers (homemade) only if there is any serious problem or extreme situation in which you are unable to get enough water for washing your hands.
You must be imagining that the DIY recipes of hand sanitizers are quite easy.
But we would like to notify you that an improper proportion or ingredient can lead most of you to serious problems like:
- Your hand sanitizer won’t be that effective. It means that the product won’t be able to eradicate the risks or issues of exposure to a few or almost every microbe.
- This hand sanitizer can cause skin burn, skin irritation, and injuries.
- You are also exposing yourself to harmful and hazardous chemicals through inhaling the ingredients (alcohol).
- We won’t advise you to use these hand sanitizers, which you are making at home for your children at all. Children are more prone and likely to use hand sanitizer improperly or wrongly. It can lead your child to a higher chance of getting any injury or hurt.
Method to use sanitizer
Two things that everyone needs to keep in mind when applying hand sanitizer are:
- You must rub the sanitizer on your skin till your hands completely dry out.
- If the hands are dirty or greasy, before applying the sanitizer, wash the hands with water and soap first.
An effective method to use sanitizers
The right way to apply your hand sanitizer properly and effectively, you have to follow these rules:
- Apply or spray the hand sanitizer to only one palm.
- Rub both of the hands thoroughly. Make sure to cover the overall surface of your fingers and hands.
- Continue to rub the hands for thirty to sixty seconds. Rub it until the hands are completely dry. It will probably require 60 seconds or more to kill all of the germs.
Making a hand sanitizer is quite easy and simple. You don’t have to waste a lot of time making this mixture. Hand sanitizer can help you fight against germs, but it cannot eliminate every single germ.
Try to wash your hands frequently, like before eating, going to the washroom, or any other task.